So you’ve disabled Cortana on Windows 10. I checked the task manager and it’s still running, even with all the options turned off.
Here’s how to really turn it off:
- Open the task manager and find the Cortana icon.
- Open Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\SystemApps
- Right click on the Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy folder and select “Rename”
- Prepend “die.” onto the beginning of the folder name to rename it to die.Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy
- It will pop up asking for admin rights. Say ok. It will fail saying that the process is in use or open in another program. Leave this window open for now.
- Go back to the task manager and kill the Cortana process and then quickly go back to the rename box and hit Retry
- All the reporting is now disabled.
You can do this with some of the other “required” apps as well. I’ve turned off most of the built in reporting apps this way: